Jacksonville Beach's first documented inhabitants were the Scull family. A surveyor for the Jacksonville & Atlantic Railway Company, the Sculls moved to a tent in the area in 1884, and named the settlement Ruby, after their oldest daughter. In 1886, it was renamed Pablo Beach, due to its' proximity to the San Pablo River, which separates it from the mainland. It remained Pablo Beach until 1925, when the town leaders decided to rename it Jacksonville Beach, to capitalize on the newfound popularity of neighboring Jacksonville. It has remained that way ever since. It has notably been the home for the 1st volunteer Red Cross lifesaving corps, a tradition that continues to this day over 100 years later! In the 1920's, beach goers began driving their cars directly onto the sands of the beach, a tradition that ended in 1979. Jacksonville Beach has long been popular as a winter home for wealthy Northerners, but has since come into its' own as a thriving town, with a year-round population of 21000. When the city of Jacksonville and Duval County consolidated in 1968, Jacksonville Beach voted to remain a separate entity. Major employers are the US Navy, Duval County School Board,and various local businesses and shops. Over the years, much of the original housing has been replaced, with approximately 1/3 of the housing being 20 years old or less. Jacksonville Beach offers a variety of housing options, including oceanfront properties, condos, townhomes and single family residences. With a seaside resort town feel, Jacksonville Beach is a spectacular place to call home!
Bounded on the North by Seagate Ave, on the East by the Atlantic Ocean, on the South by the Duval/St Johns County Line, and on the West by the Intracoastal Waterway.